According to Ofcom, we in the UK love to tap away on our phones to communicate rather than have a good old-fashioned chin-wag as texting has overtaken traditional phone calls.
Their research has shown that last year 58% of people contacted others by SMS each day, compared with just 47% making a call daily.
Perhaps unsurprisingly, the age group responsible for this shift is 16-24 whose members can’t get enough of of text time.
Other revealing facts to come out of the study included:
- The average UK mobile user sends about 50 texts each week
- Less calls are being made than ever on mobiles and landlines
- For a first, the volume of mobile calls fell last year
- 39% of us own smartphones
- We spend an hour and a half on social networks and email through our mobile devices each week
- 11% of us now own a tablet like the iPad
All this got us thinking, it’s a good thing that Proporta makes some exquisite smartphone and tablet cases so that texting can be done with style and protection too!
Sourced from bbc.co.uk