Just ahead of the new iPhone 5 launch, Apple is releasing the iOS 6 update to its mobile devices today (19th September). If you’ve been asking yourself “How do I get iOS 6?” take a look at our quick guide, including information on iOS 6 features.
What is iOS 6?
This is the latest version of Apple’s operating system for:
- iPhone 5 (will come pre-loaded on release date 21st Sept)
- iPhone 4S
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 3GS
- The new iPad (AKA iPad 3)
- iPad 2
- iPod touch 4g
- iPod touch 5g (pre-loaded, out in October)
How much will it cost?
Free free free!
When can I get it?
From 19th September 2012 onwards, the iOS 6 update will be available. No time has been given specifically but usually the new OS for Apple is made available around 6pm GMT.
- The new things your i-Stuff will be able to do as a result of the iOS update include:
- New Maps app made by Apple themselves (say goodbye to the Google apps that were once as standard) with turn-by-turn navigation
- Facebook integration means you’ll be able to “Like” from within many apps and update your status using Siri
- FaceTime will be available via 3G as well as Wi-Fi
- Passbook will allow your iPhone into a mobile boarding pass, ticket and coupon
- Panoramic camera option
How do I get iOS 6?
If you’ve been asking “How do I get iOS 6?” and no one has answered you, don’t fret, for we have some simple instructions for your here (based on previous updates).
1) As soon as it has become available, go to Settings > General > Software Update and you’ll be able to start downloading over the air using your Wi-Fi connection.
2) You can also downloading the update using your USB cable and iTunes. Just select the device you’re updating in iTunes and click on ‘Check for Update’, then follow the instructions.
3) Bear in mind that each time there’s a new iOS update there can be long delays and you may find you think it is downloading, only to be told it has not worked. It can be better to wait until the day after once the demand has lessened.
4) Always make sure you backup your iPhone, iPod or iPad before beginning the process, just in case it goes horribly wrong and you lose everything. This is never a good thing.
iPhone 5 cases
Don’t forget, if you’re lucky enough to be getting the latest iPhone, you can find our new range of iPhone 5 cases available today for pre-order with a free screen protector.